You are here
- Home >
- June 23. The LSVR paper investigating how to tailor broadband acoustic energy suppression characteristics in double porosity metamaterials appears in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.
- June 22. The LSVR and COSI (Center of Science and Industry) team up for a COSI Camp with a classroom of energetic students from the second/third grades representing diverse schools from the Columbus, OH, area. See the Teaching/Outreach page for further details and photos.
- May 20. The LSVR paper that introduces a new analytical approach to study and characterize the harmonic responses of built-up multistable structures appears in Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing.
- May 18. Joseph Crump successfully defends his LSVR internship research at the PAST Foundation. Congrats!
- May 15. Nick Sears and Dr. Harne receive a AFRL/DAGSI Ohio Student-Faculty Research Fellowship to undertake research on "Conductive, Elastomeric Architectures for Enhanced Survivability of Electronic Systems". The research program will involve summer experimentation at the Air Force Research Lab Materials and Manufacturing Directorate with colleagues during part of the summer term of 2017.
- May 12. The LSVR receives a grant from Owens Corning Science and Technology titled "Development and Characterization of Tile-like Material Systems for Large, Tunable Damping of Shock and Vibration".
- May 9. Dr. Harne receives a U.S. Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship to undertake research that supports the goal of "Enabling Robust and Durable Aerospace Structures for Combined, Extreme Environments". For this award, Dr. Harne and Ben Goodpaster will conduct the research at the Air Force Research Lab Aerospace Systems Directorate with colleagues during part of the summer term of 2017. OSU MAE news link.
- May 2. Shichao Cui presents her research poster on the subject of double porosity metamaterials as a part of the NSF I/UCRC Smart Vehicle Concepts Center spring meeting. See the People page for a photo.
- May 1. The LSVR is awarded a grant from the Ford Motor Company titled "Engineered Materials and System Integrations for Tunable Stiffness and Damping to Suppress Low Frequency Cabin Noise and for Enhanced Fuel Economy".
- Apr. 26. Shichao Cui presents her research on double porosity metamaterials as a part of the Parker Hannifin Student Lecture Series.
- Apr. 26. Chengzhe Zou presents his research on foldable, star-shaped acoustic transducers as a part of the Parker Hannifin Student Lecture Series.
- Apr. 19. The LSVR paper investigating the sound-steering and -focusing capabilitiy of star-shaped acoustic transducers appears in Smart Materials and Structures.
- Apr. 14. Dr. Harne shares about the LSVR research on origami acoustics and engineered metamaterials in an invited seminar at Virginia Tech.
- Apr. 6. Congrats to Danielle Lynd, Sansriti Saxena, Ben Goodpaster, and Yu Song for successfully defending their Undergraduate Honors Research theses!
- Apr. 2. Dr. Harne's book is released by the publisher Wiley. The book title is "Harnessing Bistable Structural Dynamics: For Vibration Control, Energy Harvesting and Sensing" and it is available in paper and digital formats.
- Apr. 1. The LSVR paper in Smart Materials and Structures introducing the principles of origami acoustics is selected as a Highlight of 2016 paper. The papers are selected based on their scientific merit, as identified by SMS reviewers, and represent some of the most downloaded and widely read articles published in SMS during 2016.
- Mar. 31. Congrats to Justin Bishop and Nick Sears for successfully defending their Undergraduate Honors Research theses!
- Mar. 29. Six LSVR Team Members participate in the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum. Congrats to Justin Bishop, Ben Goodpaster, Danielle Lynd, Sansriti Saxena, Nick Sears, and Yu Song for successful presentations!
- Mar. 27. The LSVR contributes three technical papers to the 2017 SPIE Smart Structures/Non-Destructive Evaluation Conference (Portland, OR).
- Mar. 7. Quanqi Dai presents his research on vibration energy harvesting in realistic excitation environments as a part of the Center for Automotive Research Seminar Series.
- Mar. 3. The LSVR is awarded a grant from DARPA, along with collaborator Mide Technologies, titled "Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting with Bistable Systems (PEHBS)".
- Feb. 12. The LSVR paper on a new experimentally-validated analytical framework to characterize susceptibility of post-buckled structures subjected to arbitrary harmonic and random loads appears in Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- Jan. 25. The LSVR paper on analytical and computational model approaches for Miura-ori-based acoustic transducer arrays appears in The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.
Jan. 20. Congratulations to Chengzhe Zou for passing the Ph.D. Qualifying Exam!
- Dec. 15. Congratulations to Danielle Lynd for receiving the 2016 Acoustical Society of America Robert W. Young Award for Undergraduate Student Research in Acoustics! Danielle will use the funds from this Society-level Award to propel her experimental studies in our origami acoustics research.
- Nov. 10. The LSVR paper on structural resilience to impact by material inclusions constrained near critical points appears as the cover article for the Advanced Engineering Materials volume 18, issue 11.
- Oct. 26. Dr. Harne receives the 2016 Haythornthwaite Young Investigator Award from the Haythornthwaite Foundation as selected by the ASME Applied Mechanics Division. The Haythornthwaite Award recognizes excellence in theoretical and applied mechanics research for early career faculty.
- Sept. 28. The LSVR contributes three technical papers to the 2016 ASME Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, SMASIS (Stowe, VT).
- Aug. 31. Dr. Harne and Quanqi Dai are invited to present the LSVR research on sustainable vibration energy harvesting before H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco during His Highness' esteemed visit to OSU (see People page for photo). The LSVR was selected as one of four from over 400 sustainability-focused research teams across OSU to present before the Prince.
- Aug. 22. The LSVR contributes two technical papers to the 2016 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, IDETC (Charlotte, NC).
- Aug. 11. Congratulations to several LSVR Team Members for being awarded a scholarship from the OSU College of Engineering following the successful acceptance of their Honors Research Program proposals. Congratulations go out to Justin Bishop, Ben Goodpaster, Danielle Lynd, Sansriti Saxena, and Yu Song! Well done!
- July 18. The LSVR paper on adaptive sound energy-focusing by foldable, tessellated, origami-inspired acoustic structures appears in Smart Materials and Structures.
- June 30. Congratulations to Danielle Lynd for receiving the Best Paper by a Young Presenter Award Third Prize at the 171st Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America! The award honors Danielle's paper presentation entitled "Acoustic beamfolding: new potentials enabled by interfacing reconfigurable origami and acoustic structures." News link.
- June 3. The LSVR paper on poroelastic hyperdamping metamaterials appears in Extreme Mechanics Letters.
- May 24. The LSVR contributes two technical papers to the 2016, 171st Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America (Salt Lake City, UT).
- Apr. 24. Congratulations to Nick Sears for being awarded a scholarship from the OSU College of Engineering following the successful acceptance of his Honors Research Program proposal!
- Apr. 28. The LSVR is awarded an Exploratory Research Program grant from The OSU Center for Automotive Research titled "Self-powering sensors for system condition monitoring applications through the captured energy in multistable dynamic structures".
- Apr. 21. Dr. Harne presents at the STEAM Factory Exchange meeting to share details about the LSVR research activities on vibration energy harvesting and damping using concepts inspired by Trees.
- Apr. 7. Congratulations to Quanqi Dai for a successful defense of his Honors Research Program!
- Mar. 30. Quanqi Dai contributes to the Denman Research Forum to share the results of his experimental research on characterizing susceptibility and robustness of bistable structures, and receives Fourth Prize for his poster presentation. Congratulations Quanqi!
- Mar. 21. The LSVR contributes two technical papers to the 2016 SPIE Smart Structures/Non-Destructive Evaluation Conference (Las Vegas, NV).
- Mar. 18. Dr. Harne gives an invited talk at the Air Force Research Lab (Dayton, OH).
- Mar. 10. Congratulations to Nick Sears for being awarded an NASA Glenn Higher Education Summer Internship for 2016 where he will extend his LSVR research activities and begin new initiatives!
- Feb. 1. Dr. Harne and the LSVR are featured on the OSU News, the Columbus Dispatch, engadget, Popular Mechanics, Inverse.com, OnCampus, Big Ten Network, Columbus Business First, and Industrial Equipment News for the research efforts to harvest ambient vibration energies using tree-like structures.
- Dec. 21. Congratulations to Quanqi Dai for being awarded a scholarship from the OSU College of Engineering following the successful acceptance of his Honors Research Program proposal!
- Oct. 28. The LSVR contributes one technical paper to the 2015 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, DSCC (Columbus, OH).
- Oct. 23. The LSVR participates in the OSU MAE Graduate Research Open House.
- Sept. 29. Dr. Harne gives an invited talk at the Center for Automotive Research (Columbus, OH).
- Sept. 22. The LSVR contributes one technical paper to the 2015 ASME Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, SMASIS (Colorado Springs, CO).
- Sept. 10. Dr. Harne gives an invited talk at the Air Force Research Lab (Dayton, OH).
- Aug. 1. The LSVR has open positions for Graduate and Undergraduate Research positions. See the home page for details, and contact Prof. R.L. Harne to express interest in joining the team!