Ryan L. Harne
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Aerospace Engr
E540 Scott Lab
201 W 19th Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
Ryan L. Harne (CV, Google Scholar) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at The Ohio State University where he directs the Laboratory of Sound and Vibration Research (LSVR). His research expertise falls in the areas of vibration, acoustics, mechanics, nonlinear dynamics, and smart materials. Dr. Harne has initiated and led efforts that advance fundamental understanding and applied knowledge for topics in these areas by the comprehensive integration of analytical and experimental activities. To date he has applied this research and development approach for applications of noise and vibration control, damping, and isolation; energy harvesting and guided energy transfer; adaptive structural/material systems for properties and shape change that tailor dynamic functionality; and sensing methodologies and sensor development. The outcomes of these efforts have included several patents pending, one book, over 50 journal publications, and over 50 conference proceedings, alongside numerous students mentored and guided through their academic programs.
Dr. Harne undertook undergraduate and graduate work in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Virginia Tech, leading to a B.S. (2008), M.S. (2009), and Ph.D. (2012). In 2008 he also received a Minor of Industrial Design from the Virginia Tech College of Architecture and Design. From 2012 to 2015, Dr. Harne was a Research Fellow in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan.
Dr. Harne is a Member of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE). He is an appointed member of the ASA Technical Committee on Signal Processing in Acoustics, an elected member of the ASME Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound, and elected Chair of the ASME Technical Committee on Energy Harvesting.
For his broad contributions to science and education, Dr. Harne has been recognized and awarded by multiple organizations. Dr. Harne received the 2018 National Science Foundation CAREER Award, a 2017 Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, the 2017 ASME Best Paper Award in Structures and Structural Dynamics, the 2016 Haythornthwaite Young Investigator Award from the Applied Mechanics Division of ASME, and the 2011 ASA Royster Award for noise control acoustics. In 2011, he was awarded a NASA-Virginia Space Grant Consortium Research Fellowship. He has served as Guest Associate Editor for the ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics and the Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, and currently serves as an Associate Editor for The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, in the Signal Processing in Acoustics technical area.
- Thota,M; HARNE,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2015, "Damage identification in nonlinear periodic structures utilizing the dynamics of intrinsic localized modes." ACTIVE AND PASSIVE SMART STRUCTURES AND INTEGRATED SYSTEMS 2015 9431, 94311H - 94311H.
- Harne,R,L; Sun,A; Wang,K,W, 2015, "An investigation on vibration energy harvesting using nonlinear dynamic principles inspired by trees." ACTIVE AND PASSIVE SMART STRUCTURES AND INTEGRATED SYSTEMS 2015 9431, 94310L - 94310L.
- Harne,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2014, "MASS DETECTION VIA BIFURCATION SENSING WITH MULTISTABLE MICROELECTROMECHANICAL SYSTEM." PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME CONFERENCE ON SMART MATERIALS, ADAPTIVE STRUCTURES, AND INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS - 2013, VOL 1 1, V001T03A006 - V001T03A006.
- Kidambi, N.; Harne, R.L.; Fujii, Y.; Pietron, G.M. et al., 2014, "Methods in Vehicle Mass and Road Grade Estimation." SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems 7, no. 3,
- Johnson,David,R; HARNE,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2014, "ON VIBRATION CONTROL USING A BISTABLE SNAP THROUGH ABSORBER FROM A FORCE BALANCE PERSPECTIVE." PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME INTERNATIONAL DESIGN ENGINEERING TECHNICAL CONFERENCES AND COMPUTERS AND INFORMATION IN ENGINEERING CONFERENCE, 2013, VOL 8 8, na - na.
- Wu,Z; Harne,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2014, "MUSCLE-LIKE CHARACTERISTICS WITH AN ENGINEERED METASTRUCTURE." PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME CONFERENCE ON SMART MATERIALS ADAPTIVE STRUCTURES AND INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, 2014, VOL 2 2, V002T06A019 - V002T06A019.
- Harne,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2014, "AN AXIALLY-SUSPENDED VIBRATION ENERGY HARVESTING BEAM FOR BROADBAND PERFORMANCE AND HIGH VERSATILITY." PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME CONFERENCE ON SMART MATERIALS ADAPTIVE STRUCTURES AND INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, 2014, VOL 2 2, V002T07A001 - V002T07A001.
- Harne,R,L; Schoemaker,M,E; Wang,K,W, 2014, "Multistable chain for ocean wave vibration energy harvesting." ACTIVE AND PASSIVE SMART STRUCTURES AND INTEGRATED SYSTEMS 2014 9057, 90570B - 90570B.
- Wu,Z; Harne,R,L; Wang,K,W, 2014, "VIBRATION ENERGY HARVESTING USING MULTI-STABLE TWO DEGREE-OF-FREEDOM NONLINEAR DYNAMICS." PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME INTERNATIONAL DESIGN ENGINEERING TECHNICAL CONFERENCES AND COMPUTERS AND INFORMATION IN ENGINEERING CONFERENCE, 2013, VOL 8 8, na - na.
- Harne,R,L; Thota,M; Wang,K,W, 2013, "Steady-state dynamics of a bistable energy harvester with linear appendage oscillator." ACTIVE AND PASSIVE SMART STRUCTURES AND INTEGRATED SYSTEMS 2013 8688, n/a - n/a.
Papers in Proceedings
- Kim, J.; Harne, R.L.; Wang, K.W. "Predicting non-stationary and stochastic activation of saddle-node bifurcation." (1 2016).
- Harne, R.L.; Zhang, C.; Li, B.; Wang, K.W. "An analytical approach for predicting power generation of impulsively-excited bistable vibration energy harvesters." (1 2015).
- Harne, R.L.; Wang, K.W. "A bio-inspired bistable flapping thrust mechanism with flexible suspension." (1 2014).
- Kim, J.; Harne, R.L.; Wang, K.W. "Enhancing damage identification robustness to noise and damping using integrated bistable and adaptive piezoelectric circuitry." (1 2014).